Wendell L. Conner, B.S. ChE. PE.
Manufacturing, Systems Design, Engineering Professional / Manager / Consultant / Problem Solver. Proven Innovator, Communicator, and Technical Expert with 35 Years Experience
I am an experienced leader and communicator with a strong interactive management style and strong interpersonal skills. Innovative engineering professional with a proven track record in developing processes, manufacturing networks, vendor networks, process documentation, equipment designs, improving operating efficiency, reducing manufacturing costs, managing facilities renovations, and on time product delivery. Experienced in developing and implementing SPC, JIT, MIS and lean manufacturing based work flow and control systems.
Engineering Management / Process Development / Team building / Technology Development / Project Implementation
Supervisory Chemical Engineer
- Supervised and managed production, technical support and engineering personnel.
- Hired, trained, scheduled, supervised, and evaluated, employees.
- Compiled annual budgets and staffing estimates.
- Implemented SPC and JIT inventory controls.
- Implemented MIS based Lean manufacturing WIP control system that reduced manufacturing cycle time by 75%.
- Leader of Engineering Process Team.
- Developed capital equipment budgets and specifications.
- Wrote Statements of Work for equipment procurement.
- Trained technicians and engineers.
- Performed quality control testing.
- Conducted failure root cause analysis and implemented corrective actions.
- Developed corrective action plans with vendors on various programs.
- Consulted with clients, identified their requirements.
- Developed Budgets for projects and prepared quotes for services.
- Authored article on post separation and presented paper at national convention.
Senior Environmental Engineer
- Designed and developed remediation systems that doubled percent run time, reduced maintenance, and clean up time by more than two-thirds, when compared to existing systems.
- Eliminated the backlog of system installations by selecting and developing a network of vendors to build the systems.
- Spearheaded the transition from six manual controlled systems to over forty remotely monitored PLC controlled systems in less than 3 years.
- Specified and procured over $4MM in systems in 2 years.
- Provided tech support to clients.
- Supervised maintenance and field staff.
- Designed pilot study system: improved data collection.
- Designed and installed internet based remote monitoring system for remediation sites. Developed operating budgets and cost estimates for projects.
- Managed parts procurement, coordinated vendors, schedules, managed implementation of projects.
- Developed cost analysis for alternative remediation methods for BRAC base closure plans. Developed Contractor Safety Plans, Waste Management Plans, and Spill Prevention Plans for clients.
- Supervised, coordinated, and managed construction/renovation of a PWB fabrication facility within 10 months.
- Planned, estimated, and managed move of assembly lines into a new area with minimal disruption of production.
- Planned and managed move of manufacturing into new facility while maintaining work flow.
- Planned, coordinated and supervised lab renovation and relocation.
- Planned and implemented renovation of plating department while maintaining work flow.
- Installed and maintained clean rooms.
- Created plans for state approval and managed construction projects for clients.
- Evaluated existing processes and equipment for capacity and efficiency.
- Developed statements of work and specifications for industrial plant renovation projects and capital equipment procurements.
- Developed cost estimates for maintenance budgets and various projects
- Supervised maintenance staff.
- Developed specifications, procured and installed waste water treatment systems.
- Developed specifications, procured and installed high purity water supply systems.
Chief Process/Process Engineer
- Developed proprietary electroless Ni/AU plating process.
- Rebuilt department with custom designed equipment. Delivered 1st line in 3 weeks.
- Improved line speed by 25 percent and reduced down time.
- Developed and implemented $4MM in process improvement cost savings in 4 years.
- Maintained and controlled production plating, etching, and fabrication processes
- Developed close tolerance plastic extrusion process.
- Implemented improved tooling fabrication methods.
- Designed, built, and tested various prototype products.
- Tested and evaluated materials for prototypes.
- Performed physical and chemical testing on incoming materials.
- Conducted failure analysis on defective product.
- Performed micro-section analysis on ferrous and non ferrous materials
B.S. Chemical Engineering, Indiana Institute of Technology, Fort Wayne, In. 1972
Additional Training Skills and Information
- Published paper on post separation in printed wiring boards.
- Presented paper at IPC convention.
- General Motors Management training class.
- University of Indianapolis management training course.
- OSHA 40 hour training.
- Masters level statistics classes IUPUI.
- P.E. license in Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky.
- Chairman ASM
- Member of Muncie chapter of ASM Board of Directors.
- Past member of the Board of Directors of Surf Club Condominiums Inc.
- Board of Directors member NLPC.